Saturday, April 12, 2008

Remakes me wanna puke


If you've ever glanced at my Netflix cue, you'd realize that I am an avid classic films junkie. I have no time or desire to watch the countless remakes that Hollywood seems to want to push down the throats of moviegoers these days.


Just yesterday when I thought I had rented the original version of "3:10 to Yuma", what came in the mail to my bewilderment was the remake starring Russell Crowe. It was quickly ejected from my DVD player and returned to my nearest mail box. And I'm going to email Netflix and alert them about the mistake.


I also recently learned that director Michael Bay is considering remaking Roman Polanski's horror classic, "Rosemary's Baby". Big mistake. Here's to hoping that the folks who run the studios out in Hollywood realize that remaking this film is a definite no-no. It's fine, just the way it is and we don't need Michael Bay to screw with it.


A quick glance at his bio on imdb.com and Bay is currently working on "A Nightmare on Elm Street". How original?


Hollywood needs to stop cranking out remakes and think of better ways to make new films these days. Take a chance for pete's sake.

1 comment:

esteeb said...

I know how you feel, dude. I saw the preview to the remake of the Hitcher last year and the trailer said "from the team that brought you The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes and The Amityville Horror". Now, I thought to myself... weren't these done by different people, but they were all remakes. One set of producers taking staples of classic horror and updating it for the kids of today. Sad indeed. When I checked the directors resumes of these remakes I found that most of them primarily come from music video land. Ick! Like there's been any good videos since A-Ha's Take On Me!

It seems that they are still in the works on these remakes as well. Marcus Nispel is doing the remake of the first Friday the 13th installment. This is actually with the production company that brought you all the Friday the 13ths. They want to keep the franchise alive it seems. Just when Kane Hodder was relegated to Spooky World appearances... I thought they were on the right track with the exceptional Jason X (clearly the best sequel since Jason Lives or perhaps the Final Chapter), but battling Freddie brought the franchise down a notch again.

Then Alexandre Aja who did the remake of the Hills Have Eyes is coming out with a remake that could use some updating - mostly due to the wonderous CGI of today. What remake you ask? Piranha.

Sure the Joe Dante original is a cult classic, mostly due to it's sly riffing of the Jaws formula... but I have to say I am excited for the remake. Especially since this is the one director in that group that has actually done original horror films (P2 and High Tension).

Can't wait for 2009!